Mid-Columbia Libraries (MCL) provides online services to customers, both at the library buildings, and through online resources accessible from home.
While providing services, information is collected about how services are used. Mid-Columbia Libraries uses this information solely to improve service.
What information is collected?
- At a minimum, name, address and birth date are required to obtain a library card.
- An email address, phone number, and/or mobile phone number is requested.
Network usage statistics are gathered when using public computers or wireless Internet hotspot.
- The library card number used to access the Public Access Computer, and the length of time the computer was in use may be collected.
- How much data the computer accessed online and what format of data the computer accessed (video, audio, or text) may be temporarily recorded.
- The video, audio, or text content of any data accessed on MCL public computers is NOT collected, nor is any record of what sites were visited on any individual computer.
When the website is used, website usage statistics are collected.
- Cookies may be collected on the computer. Cookies are not used for tracking purposes. Cookies expire within seven days.
- The address of the page viewed, and the address of the computer that viewed the page is recorded. Other information provided by the Internet browser, such as the operating system or browser version may also be recorded.
How collected data is used:
- Your contact information will be used to send electronic, telephone, or physical mail notices of account or service changes that would directly affect you.
- Your contact information may be used to information you of products and services you may be interested in, based on that contact information. An easy, secure way to unsubscribed from this type of message will be provided.
Network Usage Statistics:
- Network usage statistics are used to determine the amount of demand for services so that demand can be met.
- Network usage statistics may also be used to adjust the characteristics of the network to ensure the best possible access for the greatest number of people.
Website Usage Statistics:
- Website usage statistics are used to gauge the popularity of individual pages. The information will be used to determine how the website is accessed and used in designing the structure of the website.
What is shared with others?
- Some of the content and services offered online are provided by a third party vendor. Mid-Columbia Libraries provides a method for these vendors to determine that you have a valid account.